Representing Accident Victims in Burlington, New Jersey
At Smith Magram Michaud Colonna, P.C., we recognize that behind accident statistics are real people trying to heal their bodies and reclaim their lives. Our legal team is committed to holding negligent drivers and insurance companies accountable for the pain, hardships and losses. Our experienced injury lawyers bring more than 100 years of combined experience to your personal injury claims and lawsuits. We have big-firm capabilities, including two partners who are certified trial specialists. We are small enough that clients work directly with the same partner of our firm throughout your case. In many cases, our attorneys visit accident scenes themselves to see them firsthand and participate in gathering evidence and talking to witnesses.
Answering Your Accident Questions
How Does A Car Accident Affect Your Life?
A car accident can significantly impact your life, depending on the severity of the accident and the injuries sustained. Here are some potential ways you could be affected:
- Physical injuries: If you are injured in a car accident, you may suffer from physical injuries that can be painful and require medical treatment. These injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to more serious injuries like broken bones, spinal cord injuries, or traumatic brain injuries.
- Emotional trauma: A car accident can be traumatic, and you may experience emotional distress such as anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following the accident.
- Financial burden: A car accident can be expensive, and you may have to pay for medical bills, car repairs and other related expenses. If you are unable to work due to your injuries, you may also lose income.
- Legal issues: If someone else’s negligence caused the car accident, you may need to pursue legal action to recover damages. This can be a time-consuming and stressful process.
- Transportation difficulties: If your car is damaged or totaled in the accident, you may have difficulty getting to work or other important appointments while your car is being repaired or replaced.
- Changes in daily life: Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may need to make changes to your daily routine, such as taking time off work or attending physical therapy sessions.
Can A Car Accident Cause A Herniated Disc Or Sciatica?
The impact of a car accident can cause the discs in the spine to bulge or rupture, resulting in a herniated disc. This can put pressure on the nerves that run through the spine, leading to sciatica. Sciatica is a condition that causes pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness in the legs and feet due to compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve.
The severity of a herniated disc or sciatica can vary depending on the extent of the damage to the spine and nerves. Treatment for these conditions may include physical therapy, pain management, medication, or surgery, depending on the severity of the condition and the individual’s symptoms. Seeking legal advice from an experienced attorney can help determine if you have a possible personal injury claim.
Are Car Accident Lawyers Worth It?
You might be wondering if you need a lawyer. Here are some things to consider:
- Liability: If there is any dispute about who is at fault for the accident, a car accident lawyer can help establish liability and make sure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Severity of injuries: If you have been seriously injured in the accident, it is important to have a lawyer who can help you navigate the legal system and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you receive the compensation you need to cover your medical bills and other expenses.
- Insurance company tactics: Insurance companies may try to minimize your claim or deny it altogether. A car accident lawyer has your best interest at the forefront and can help you deal with the insurance company and fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Do Car Accident Settlements Work?
When a person is injured in a car accident, they may be entitled to compensation for their injuries, medical bills, lost wages and other damages. Here are the general steps involved in a car accident settlement:
- Determine who is at fault: Before any settlement can be made, it must be determined who is responsible for the accident. In some cases, it may be clear who caused the accident. In other cases, it may require an investigation or a trial to determine fault.
- File a claim with insurance companies: Once fault has been determined, the injured party or their representative will file a claim with the insurance company of the at-fault driver. The insurance company will then investigate the claim and determine how much compensation is owed. A personal injury attorney with your best interests in mind can protect your rights by speaking with the company on your behalf.
- Negotiation: The injured party and the insurance company will negotiate a settlement amount. This can take some time, as both parties may have different ideas of what is a fair settlement amount. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help ensure that the injured party receives fair compensation.
- Disbursement: Once a settlement amount has been agreed upon, the funds will be disbursed to the injured party.
It is important to note that every car accident settlement is different, and the amount of compensation that the injured party may receive can vary greatly depending on the circumstances of the accident, the extent of the injuries and other factors. It is always recommended to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to ensure that you receive the compensation your case deserves.
Get Full Value For Your Auto Accident Claims
Our experienced and aggressive representation consistently leads to good recoveries for our clients. We know that a quick settlement may not cover your ongoing medical needs or lost earnings. Contact us today to make sure your claim is handled the right way.
Our Firm Has Decades Of Experience With Auto Accident Claims
Serving South Jersey and Central New Jersey since 1965, our Burlington law firm handles all types of motor vehicle accidents. Our attorneys are familiar with the causes and contributing factors in traffic accidents and the insurance and legal issues commonly involved, such as:
- T-bone intersection crashes and rear-end collisions
- Vehicle rollover accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Speed-related accidents
- Accidents caused by distracted drivers
- Accidents caused by bus drivers
- Accidents caused by drunk drivers
- Serious train accidents
- Accidents involving uninsured or underinsured drivers
- Accidents with passenger injuries
- Accidents caused by dangerous roadways
- Motorcycle accidents
- On-the-job vehicle accidents
- Bus and train accidents including those involving New Jersey transit
- Car accident claims against government entities
Contact Our Burlington Office Today
Call 609-589-0649 toll free, and please tell us if you need a visit to your home or hospital room.
We work on a contingency fee basis. It costs nothing upfront, and you owe no attorney fees unless we win your case at trial or negotiate a favorable settlement that covers your needs and meets your approval.