Burlington Personal Injury Attorneys

More than 100 Years of Combined Experience

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  » Can My Employer Fire Me For Filing A Workers’ Comp Claim?

Can My Employer Fire Me For Filing A Workers’ Comp Claim?

New Jersey employers who carry workers’ compensation insurance generally cannot be sued by employees for injuries that occur on the job. However, there are times when you may have the right to sue.

At Smith Magram Michaud Colonna, P.C., in Burlington, our lawyers represent workers who are injured on the job. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and determine if you have options beyond workers’ compensation.

Beyond Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ compensation provides needed medical care and wage-loss benefits if you are hurt on the job. However, those benefits are limited. For example, workers’ compensation does not provide any compensation for damages such as pain and suffering.

There are times when injured employees can sue their employers and recover full compensation for everything they have lost. For example, if your employer caused your injury intentionally – for example, by failing to correct a known danger in the workplace – you may have the right to sue your employer.

You may also have the right to sue a third party who was negligent in causing your injury. A third party is anyone who does not work for your employer. Examples include:

  • Another driver in a work-related truck or auto accident
  • A contractor who performs work at your job facility
  • The manufacturer of a dangerous or defective machine

Our attorneys will carefully review your case and determine if you have the right to seek additional compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. Then we will manage both your workers’ compensation and your personal injury case to help you recover the maximum compensation from all sources.

For More Information About Your Legal Options After A Workplace Accident

To discuss your case with an experienced Burlington workers’ compensation lawyer, call609-589-0649 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation. The consultation is free, and we charge no fees unless we win your case.